Saturday, June 19, 2004

My Old Friend

let me tell you about something beautiful. i spent the evening (and early morning) with a friend of mine that i haven't seen for more than a couple months. this guy was close to me in my old crazy days and between the two of us, there were none crazier in my town. he made a point of coming out and finding me this evening for a celebration...a celebration of his indoctrination into the world of real family. he and i have both always had our "families," be it blood or the people we surrounded ourselves with, but he has actually stepped into the world of the wife-and-kids family that most folks eventually realize they want. i spent the evening with him (getting less wasted than i normally would on a friday night) moving heavy things and organizing boxes in his new house and talking with him about life in general. we haven't done this in a long while. the bottom line is, where we would have drank until we couldn't stand in the old days--talking about girls and trouble, we talked about family, life and what the true meaning of happiness really boils down to. i am in an ongoing love affair with my best friend, my soul mate and my wife (all the same person, even) and he is embarking on an adventure with the girl of his dreams! he stood in my wedding and i am the best man in his, and at this point, i can honestly say--the joining of these two people is right! i am so proud of him, and i hope he finds even half of the joy that i have!!!

paddle, hippy, paddle!!!

0Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home