Sunday, August 21, 2005

Time In A Folded Sharp Stick

i, on average, have at least a half an hour of sword time a day. it has been a little sparse as of late, but it will go back to abundance any day. the thing no one seems to notice when they pick up a sword is what it sounds like. for one, the vibration of a blade just sitting in your hand is enough to tell what that blade is wont to do; be it fly, drive, slide or spin. the vibration will tell you if it is a work-horse or a delicate tool of surgery--a stopper and pusher, or a winding striking snake sliding through a thorn-bush. then when a blade moves, especially the long ones, you can hear what the air does to each. my chinese broadsword whuffles the air like a bear, demanding movement and only giving into direction after careful prodding. my black to whispers and sings; it's single sided sharpness playing the air in a different tone for each different position or embrace, yet it is not tender and is by far the fastest and deadliest thing in the house. the highland broadsword rings like a bell touching nothing...any motion at all and the steel resounds in a lulling, single-pitch note that you can feel at the base of your skull. my katana slides and clicks and favors silence...when it rings it is abrupt and short--to the point--then still again. my kenyan bush-knife buzzes and is only happy when spinning--like a hummingbird. blindfolded in a room, i could tell what sword someone was holding if the only move it back and forth once.

i was thinking the other day, what is the point? is there any place in this age of gun-powder and video-games for the old ways? do i waste my time spinning a pair of sai that will never leave my house? am i just an old geek with a lot of pointy toys and do i need to grow up and forget the silliness? what do you think?

4Comments:

Blogger shyloh's poetry said...

This is very interesting ivar. You must be very aware of things. I don't think anyone should have to grow up. OR should for that matter. Life can be a pain in the rear but find what you like and just enjoy. I really liked this post by the way. In my meditation of nothing but silence or just listening to my breathing I could relate to the blade sounds ha!

7:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wouldn't give it up. It's you. No use fighting it, right?

3:28 PM  
Blogger Ivar said...

you guys are right...all of you...as always...and anyway, who will teach my kids how to be geeks if i don't continue practicing!

4:31 AM  
Blogger Spinning Girl said...

my opinion of you just skyrocketed.
your name is Estonian.

3:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home